As many people who follow my blog know. I am absolutely against male genital mutilation (also known as circumcision). It is a horribly barbaric process that is not necessary. People who do this to their children are abusing their children in my opinion. Every single argument that I’ve heard from them so far falls flat on its face.
I will not allow my child to be circumcised unless it is absolutely medically necessary. If my child gets older and becomes of legal age to make the decisions on their own and they chooses this procedure, then my child may do so. After alternate adult and now they can make these decisions on their own.
This procedure known as circumcision is nothing more than another form of child abuse. If it’s not, then it should be perfectly okay to allow female genital mutilation as well. I will not accept a double standard that allows the mutilation of boys while not allowing for girls.
Recently I found a video by freedom0speech who uploaded a video that he narrated that had doctors discussing the topic of circumcision becoming illegal. When not in medically necessary. A video I urge all my readers to watch.
Daytime television talk shows have never been known for giving the most reliable information to the public. A show called “The Doctors” is no exception.
I’m going to go over a segment of the show that aired on the 12th of January 2011.
The segment is about the proposed circumcision ban in San Francisco California. This bill would ban non-consensual genital cutting of minors when there is no immediate medical necessity. This bill is intended to protect minors, and does not ban medically necessary or adult consensual surgeries.
The clip begins with Doctor Drew Ordon making a horrible case for his position. Dr. Drew, you will henceforth be known as Doctor Fallacy.
Special thanks to Sam of Gallifrey for help gathering sources and arguments. Subscribe here:
1. H. C. Bazett et al, “Depth, Distribution and Probable Identification in the Prepuce of Sensory End-Organs Concerned in Sensations of Temperature and Touch, Thermometric Conductivity,” Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry 27 (1932): 489-517
2. Sorrells et al. (2007). Fine-touch pressure thresholds in the adult penis. British Journal of Urology, 99(4), 864–869. http://tinyurl.com/sorrells2007bju
3. Van Howe RS, Cold CJ. Advantages and disadvantages of neonatal circumcision. JAMA 1997:278:203.
4. Klein, A. (1989). The healing power of humor. New York, NY: Penguin Putnam.
5. Cornell, DH. (2003). Frequently Asked Questions. Circumcision Center. http://www.circumcisioncenter.com/faq…
6. Detailed Guide: Penile Cancer. What Are the Key Statistics About Penile Cancer?. (2006). American Cancer Society. http://tinyurl.com/penilecancer
7. Country Comparison – HIV/AIDS – adult prevalence rate. (2007). Central intelligence agency. http://tinyurl.com/ciahiv
8. “Countries” Measure Demographic and Health Surveys. N.p., 2010. http://www.measuredhs.com/countries
9. MedicineNet. (2011). Male Breast Cancer. http://tinyurl.com/mbcancer
10. 18 U.S.C. § 116 : US Code – Section 116: Female genital mutilation. (CITE: 18USC116). http://tinyurl.com/usafgm
11. World Health Organization. (2009). Eliminating Female Genital Mutilation: An Interagency Statement. UNFPA.http://tinyurl.com/eliminatefgm
12. Taylor JR, Lockwood AP, Taylor AJ. The prepuce: Specialized mucosa of the penis and its loss to circumcision. British Journal of Urology 1996; 77: 291-295. http://www.cirp.org/library/anatomy/t…
13. Lakshmanan S., Prakash S. Human prepuce: Some aspects of structure and function. Indian J Surg 1980;44:134-7. http://www.cirp.org/library/anatomy/l…
14. Gairdner D. The fate of the foreskin: A study of circumcision. Br Med J 1949;2:1433-7.
15. Frederick Hodges, Paul Fleiss. “Nontherapeutic Circumcision Should not be Performed,” American Medical News, vol. 38, no. 26 (July 17, 1995): p. 16.
16. World Health Organization. (2010). Eliminating Female Genital Mutilation: An Interagency Statement. World Health Organization. http://tinyurl.com/2nfjmq
17. Stang , M.J., & Snellman, L.W. (1998). Circumcision practice patterns in the United States. Pediatrics, 101(6), http://pediatrics.aappublications.org… doi: 10.1542/peds.101.6.e5
18. Hitchens schools Rabbi on issue of genital mutilation. (2009). [Web]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93ZiR…
19. Planet Parent (season 1, episode 2). (2006). [Web]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyYhRp…
20. Fleiss, PM. (1997, March). The case against circumcision. Mothering.
21. Mark, S, Brown, MD, Cheryl, A, & Brown, RN. (1987). Circumcision Decision: Prominence of social concerns. Pediatrics, 80(2), 215-219 http://tinyurl.com/aapcosmeticcirc